“It’s always further than it looks. It’s always taller than it looks. And it’s always harder than it looks.” (the three rules of mountaineering)
Mt. Batulao is recognized as one of the top favorites for mountain climbing because of its proximity and being beginners-friendly. In less than 3 hours, you will be applauded with the spectacular rock formations and panoramic view of the grassland that will leave you in astonishment. Though it is considered a minor climb but it definitely ain’t easy for a newbie.
It was a gloomy morning; we started the trek from the old trail to the new trail. It is an easy trail and seemly for beginners, but be cautious as the trails have sheer edges and portions where you have to climb using a rope. If you are a first timer or solo hiker, it’s highly suggested that you hire a guide unless you’re going out with a group and hiking with an expert mountaineers with you .Hiking can take up to 3 hours or more. It depends on your pace and crowd.
After several hour of walking under the rain, we finally reached the summit. The amazing 360 view of Batangas and its neighboring cities blew us away. We got exhausted and dirty, but it was all worth it.
THINGS TO BRING:
- 2 L of water (there are stores run by the locals before and along the trail)
- Packed lunch
- Trail Food (preferably Jelly Ace, Powerbars, Jelly Sticks, etc.)
- Personal Medicines
- 1 Pair of Arm Guards or Long Sleeves
- Sunblock Lotion for your face
- Rain Coat ( A MUST)
- Trash bags
- Whistle in case of emergency
- Cap / Bandana / Bonnet
- A reliable pair of shoes will save you from any injuries
- First aid kit is a must. Better safe than sorry.
- Bring Toiletries. They’re your saving grace.
How to Get there:
- Follow the way going to Tagaytay via Cavitex or SLEX. At the intersection in Olivares, follow the way going to Nasugbu. Turn left at Evercrest (Hillcrest). Take the first right after then drive straight until you see the parking area.
- Ride a DLTB bus in Buendia Station or Take a bus from Coastal Mall going to Nasugbu, Batangas. Get off at Hillcrest Golf Club. Ride a tricycle towards the registration point (optional).
|6:00 AM||Meet up in BGC|
|8:30 AM||Arrival at Evercrest|
|8:30 AM||Start trek|
|11:00 AM||Arrival at summit; lunch|
|12:00 PM||Start descent via New Trail, which is opposite the Old Trail at the summit|
|1:00 PM||Arrival at New Trail Campsite. Register again.|
|3:30 PM||Back at Evercrest; clean-up at nearby sari-sari store|